Maharashtra lawmaker-don gets life in murder case
Thane: A former mafia don turned five-time legislator from Maharashtra`s Ulhasnagar and three others were on Tuesday sentenced to life in prison by a court here in a 23-year-old murder case rooted in political and business rivalry.
Suresh alias Pappu Kalani, a 62-year-old liquor baron, was held guilty Friday by Additional Sessions Judge Rajeshwari Bapat-Sarkar of Kalyan court for hatching a criminal conspiracy with the three others in the murder of Ghanshyam Bhatija Feb 27, 1990.
Two other co-accused in the same case were acquitted for lack of sufficient evidence.
While Kalani was found guilty and sentenced for conspiracy to murder (under Indian Penal Code Sec 120B), his three associates - Mohammed Ashrat Sheikh, Baba Gabriel and Bacchi Pandey - were held guilty of committing murder under IPC Sec 320, besides violation of the Arms Act.
Narendra Ramsinghani and Richard Fernandes were acquitted.
Bhatija was found murdered near Pinto Resorts in Ulhasnagar, a Sindhi-dominated township in Thane district in February 1990 when the Kalani family held sway there.
Nearly a decade later, the sole witness to the murder case, Inder Bhatija - the younger brother of the killed Ghanshyam - was also shot dead April 27, 1999, despite having police security.
Later, police filed a charge sheet naming Kalani, Sheikh, Gabriel, Pandey, Ramsinghani and Fernandes as the prime accused.
Special Public Prosecutor Vikas Patil had sought death penalty for the four, saying Kalani had a long criminal record with over two dozen murder cases against him.
Patil also argued that Bhatija`s murder was very well-planned, and that the same group was also accused in the murder of Inder Bhatija who was gunned down in 1999.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400