Maharashtra lawmaker-don gets life in murder case
Thane: A former mafia don turned five-time legislator from Maharashtra`s Ulhasnagar and three others were on Tuesday sentenced to life in prison by a court here in a 23-year-old murder case rooted in political and business rivalry.
Suresh alias Pappu Kalani, a 62-year-old liquor baron, was held guilty Friday by Additional Sessions Judge Rajeshwari Bapat-Sarkar of Kalyan court for hatching a criminal conspiracy with the three others in the murder of Ghanshyam Bhatija Feb 27, 1990.
Two other co-accused in the same case were acquitted for lack of sufficient evidence.
While Kalani was found guilty and sentenced for conspiracy to murder (under Indian Penal Code Sec 120B), his three associates - Mohammed Ashrat Sheikh, Baba Gabriel and Bacchi Pandey - were held guilty of committing murder under IPC Sec 320, besides violation of the Arms Act.
Narendra Ramsinghani and Richard Fernandes were acquitted.
Bhatija was found murdered near Pinto Resorts in Ulhasnagar, a Sindhi-dominated township in Thane district in February 1990 when the Kalani family held sway there.
Nearly a decade later, the sole witness to the murder case, Inder Bhatija - the younger brother of the killed Ghanshyam - was also shot dead April 27, 1999, despite having police security.
Later, police filed a charge sheet naming Kalani, Sheikh, Gabriel, Pandey, Ramsinghani and Fernandes as the prime accused.
Special Public Prosecutor Vikas Patil had sought death penalty for the four, saying Kalani had a long criminal record with over two dozen murder cases against him.
Patil also argued that Bhatija`s murder was very well-planned, and that the same group was also accused in the murder of Inder Bhatija who was gunned down in 1999.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog