Maharashtra: Tatkare says PIL politically motivate
Mumbai: Terming as "false, malicious and frivolous", Maharashtra Water Resources Minister Sunil Tatkare on Friday urged the Bombay High Court to dismiss a PIL filed by former BJP MP Kirit Somaiya seeking probe into alleged money laundering and land grabbing by the minister.
Tatkare has alleged that the PIL has been filed "due to political rivalry and is politically motivated".
"The allegations made by the petitioner in the PIL are completely false and devoid of any factual basis. The bald and vague allegations of corruption are motivated and does not in fact make out any case of corruption or of commission of any criminal offences," Tatkare said in an affidavit.
The affidavit was filed in reply to the PIL as per directions of the High Court earlier.
Somaiya, in his petition, had sought a probe by a special investigation team into alleged money-laundering and land grabbing by various companies floated by Tatkare and his family.
The petition has listed 51 companies formed by the minister with his family members and friends as directors and charged that they had allegedly purchased benami lands in Maharashtra and also indulged in money laundering, thereby causing losses to the public exchequer.
"It has been alleged that my family and other associates have floated and purchased several companies, which have acquired large land holdings. It has also been alleged that these benami companies have been shown favouritism by manipulation in tendering processes and awarding of contracts. This allegation is totally false and vague," Tatkare said.
He further refuted allegations that the companies are benami and owned and financed by him. "The records and finances of these companies are in public domain and have been filed with the Registrar of Companies," the affidavit states.
It further terms as "malicious" the allegations of corruption in the Irrigation Department, which Tatkare was heading in November 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate