Maharashtra to set up new counter-terrorism force
Mumbai: Maharashtra plans to set up an Urban Counter-Terrorism Training Centre (UCTTC) for commandos who would act as a quick response team to any terror strike, the government said Wednesday.
The UCTTC will come up in over 98 acres at the Aarey Milk Colony in Goregaon suburb of northwest Mumbai, according to a government notification.
In view of the rise in terrorist strikes, the government decided to set up the centre which would impart training, in-service training to commandos and also offer refresher courses.
"The move to set up the UCTTC is part of the government`s exercise to strengthen the police force and make it more advanced," the notification said.
The move comes in the wake of increasing terror activities in Mumbai, Thane, Navi Mumbai, Pune, Nashik, Nagpur and other major urban centres of the state.
The UCTTC will train commandos in the existing Force One and Quick Response Teams in Mumbai.
Force One, designed on the lines of the National Security Guards, was formed after the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack.
The UCTTC would be headed by an officer of the rank of additional superintendent of police working under a special inspector general of police. The overall command would vest with the director general of police, who will make appointments and other working systems there.
The UCTTC will recruit officers having knowledge of advanced weapons and handling explosives while NSG commandos, Para commandos, army and state police officials would be taken on deputation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days