Maharashtra toll violence: MNS MLA, 71 workers arrested; govt warns of action
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: Raj Thackeray`s Maharashtra Navnirman Sena workers on Monday went on the rampage, vandalizing toll plazas in different parts of the state following their leader`s diktat not to pay the levy and "thrash" those who raise a voice against it.
The vandalism invited condemnation from the state`s ruling Congress-NCP alliance and demand for action against MNS.
"Aadve aale tar tudvun kadha" (if anyone raises a voice, thrash them). Unless you are told why toll is being levied, no one will pay," Thackeray had exhorted his party workers at a function in Navi Mumbai on Sunday night.
Hours later, they were on streets, pulling down barriers and unleashing violence.
At least half-a-dozen toll booths were ransacked by MNS activists in Thane district, adjoining Mumbai, alone.
MNS legislator Pravin Darekar and at least 71 of his supporters were detained at Dahisar after party workers attacked a toll plaza.
Several toll booths in Kalyan township of the district were raided by MNS supporters led by local MLA Prakash Bhoir. Cases have been registered in connection with the attacks.
State Congress president Manikrao Thakre denounced the incidents and said he had discussed the matter with chief minister Prithviraj Chavan. The chief minister, he said, had assured him that police complaints would be filed and action taken against the perpetrators.
"But what about those who incited the violence? Legal action should also be taken against them," Thakre said without naming Raj.
Thakre said the decision to levy toll for using various roads and bridges was taken by the Shiv Sena-BJP government for projects taken up on build-operate-transfer (BOT) basis, he added.
Senior NCP leader and Union inister Tariq Anwar also slammed Raj Thackeray for the incidents, saying," he (Raj) has been adopting such tactics for cheap popularity. He should change his ways."
MNS has been targeting the government for continuing to levy toll for use of roads and bridges whose cost has already been recovered without providing better amenities.
Meanwhile, reinforcements have been rushed to vulnerable toll plazas, police said.
With PTI inputs
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India