Maharashtra traders threaten to resume anti-Local Body Tax agitation
Mumbai: Retail traders in Maharashtra have threatened to resume their agitation if the government failed to resolve the Local Body Tax issue.
"The government must resolve the LBT issue or else we along with other important associations all over Maharashtra will be forced to resume our agitation in Maharashtra and Mumbai," Federation of Retail Traders Welfare Association president Viren Shah said in a statement here.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan had earlier assured the traders that LBT would not be implemented in Mumbai in a hurry.
The tax, which replaces octroi, has been brought into force in some other cities. Traders are opposed to it, fearing increase in tax burden and harassment from officials.
Federation of Associations of Maharashtra president Mohan Gurnani said in a statement that in a meeting on June 12, Chief Secretary had refused to form a committee and indicated that LBT would be introduced in Mumbai as scheduled, contrary to Chief Minister`s assurance.
In the meeting with CM on May 24, traders were specifically assured that a separate committee would be formed to discuss the issue, he said.
FAM had convened its executive committee meeting on June 19 to decide the future course of action, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks