Maoists strike again, 7 security men injured in Gadchiroli
Gadchiroli: A day after killing at least four police personnel, Maoists again struck in the dense forests of eatern Maharashtra`s Gadchiroli district Tuesday morning and injured seven security personnel, police said.
According to reports reaching the district headquarters here, a police van was ambushed and blown up with a mine near Tallewada, around 130 km from here, said Chandan Bavne, an official in the Anti-Maoist Squad control room.
At least seven security personnel were injured in the landmine blast. They have been rushed to hospitals in the vicinity, Bavne said. The condition of at least two is reported to be critical.
The incident came barely 15 hours after a group of Maoists ripped a police jeep near Permili village and left at least five security personnel dead Monday evening.
A fierce gunfight was continuing in the forests between the security forces and the Maoists, details of which were not immediately available.
Meanwhile, the bodies of four of the security personnel killed in Monday`s attack were brought to the district headquarters, he added.
The personnel were: Central Reserve Police Force inspector Nivrutti Jadhav (45), CRPF constable Anand Patil (22), and state police sub-inspectors Shashi More (31) and Mahendra Nalpul (35).
Two others who were injured in the attack, including a police personnel and a police driver, are reported to be serious and undergoing treatment, Gadchiroli police control said.
Top officials of the district police, the CRPF and Anti-Maoist Squad have been stationed in the area to help counter the resurgence of Maoist unrest in the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore