MCOCA charges against Pune serial blasts accused dropped
Mumbai: Giving reprieve to a 2012 Pune serial blast accused, a Special Court on Tuesday dropped the charges slapped on him under the Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA).
Sayed Feroz was charged under MCOCA, a stringent anti- organised crime law, and also Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act (UAPA) by Maharashtra ATS, for his alleged role in the terror attack.
"The court dropped the MCOCA charges from Sayed Feroz after we argued that the ATS` move to invoke both MCOCA as well as Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act against him was bad in law," defence advocate Mehmood Pracha said.
Both Acts cannot be applied together in a case, he maintained.
The Special MCOCA Court, however, stayed its order to allow the prosecution to challenge it in the Bombay High Court.
On August 1, 2012, four co-ordinated low-intensity explosions rocked the busy Junglee Maharaj Road in Pune. One person was injured in the blasts.
Besides Feroz, police have arrested seven other accused. ATS had filed a 3,857-page charge sheet on April 30 last year in connection with the blasts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire