Mumbai violence was pre-planned, says BJP
Mumbai: Police as well as Maharashtra Home Department had "credible" information about possibility of violence at Azad Maidan during the August 11 protest organised by minority community groups, but they failed to take any step to prevent it, Opposition BJP claimed today.
"A woman residing in suburban Bandra had intimated Deputy Commissioner of Police (Zone 8 and 9) on August 9 through a letter that she has got credible information that some anti-social elements would indulge in violence (during the protest)," state BJP spokesperson Madhav Bhandari said at a press conference.
He showed the letter, written in Marathi, to the media persons, but declined to reveal the identity of the woman.
The letter says members from the Salim Lightwala gang were planning large-scale violence at the venue, to drive home the point that the riots -- in which two persons were killed and several others, mostly policemen and media persons, were injured -- was a planned act, Bhandari said.
The August 11 protest was organised by Raza Academy and some other groups to denounce alleged atrocities on the minority community in Assam and Myanmar.
The BJP leader also displayed a photograph which shows Maulana Moin Miyan, a member of Raza Academy, with Home Minister R R Patil and Minister of State for Housing Sachin Ahir (both belong to NCP) at an `iftar` party.
"The government is responsible for the violence. They had information about it two days prior to the incident. The person in the photograph with Patil is one of the accused in the violence," Bhandari added.
Later in the day, replying to a question about the
picture with Maulana Moin Miyan, R R Patil said: "Anybody can take a photograph during a function."
The investigation of the August 11 violence was on, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray