Navy reviews Mumbai`s coastal security
Mumbai: The Western Naval Command on Friday conducted a review of the coastal security of Mumbai and rest of Maharashtra.
The coastal security mechanism and measures to enhance it further were discussed at the meeting, an official said.
Senior functionaries of state government, Navy, Coast Guard, Police, Customs, Shipping, Maharashtra Maritime Board, Port Trust and Fisheries Department were present.
The meeting, held at The Joint Operations Centre, was co-chaired by Vice Admiral Shekhar Sinha, Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief Western Naval Command (Commander-in-Chief Coastal Security) and J S Saharia, state`s Chief Secretary.
Sinha emphasised the importance of Maharashtra, particularly Mumbai, and the relentless synergy required to ensure robust coastal security, the official said.
Issues such as monitoring of numerous landing points along the coast, regulation of traffic in harbour, monitoring of fishing vessels and pleasure crafts were discussed, he said.
Over the past few years, coastal security has emerged as a major focus area for the country and accordingly all stake holders undertake `Exercise Sagar Kavach`, under the aegis of Commander in Chief, Coastal Defence, every six months.
Navy and the Coast Guard are also promoting security awareness campaigns amongst the coastal and fishermen population, who can act as `Eyes and Ears` for the administration against threats from the sea, he said.
Much had been done to strengthen coastal security and this process requires to be continued with vigour, Saharia said.
He suggested that even the shipping agents and the population close to landing points must be sensitised on need for robust coastal security.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Islamic State 'poster girl' beaten to death by jihadists