Naxal leaders Gonsalves, Srinivasan convicted by Nagpur court
Nagpur: Two top Naxal leaders, arrested by Mumbai ATS in 2007, were on Tuesday found guilty of unlawful activities by a local court and given jail terms.
Vernon Stanlase Gonsalves alias Vikram (50) and Srinivasan Krishnan alias Vishnu (50) were sentenced to imprisonment of five and six years respectively.
Co-accused Angela Sontakke was acquitted.
They were facing a case under Arms Act, Indian Explosives Act, Unlawful Activities Prevention Act and Indian Penal Code.
After the arrest, they were brought to Chandrapur for investigation, and later tried at the special court here.
District and Additional Sessions Judge P M Dunedar convicted the two for unlawful activity and carrying arms and explosives.
On August 19, 2007, police arrested Shridhar and Vernon from suburban Govandi in Mumbai for links with Naxal movement. Two firearms, gelatin sticks and detonators were recovered from them, along with Naxal literature.
Vernon and his wife Susan Abraham had worked among tribals in Chandrapur area between 1984 and 1994. Susan came back to Mumbai in 1994 after she gave birth to a son.
According to police, Srinivasan was a national politburo member of Communist Party of India-Marxist-Leninist (CPI-ML) and Gonsalves was a top state-level leader of the banned outfit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla