No plans to contest Maharashtra polls alone, says NCP leader
Mumbai: Asserting that the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) has no plans to contest the forthcoming Assembly elections on its own, Maharashtra NCP president Sunil Tatkare said here on Thursday that the Congress-NCP seat sharing formula would be finalised by Sharad Pawar and Sonia Gandhi.
Talking to reporters, Tatkare said that grass roots cadres have been demanding that the party should contest more seats this time.
Tatkare was responding to questions about the party`s aggressive posture and feedback at party meetings held in different parts of Maharashtra recently that it is prepared to go alone if its demand for "equal" seat sharing was not met.
He said the list of candidates would be announced after seat sharing talks with the Congress conclude.
On whether sitting MLAs would be renominated, Tatkare said that work done by elected representatives and their winning capability would be deciding factor during renomination.
He said the NCP is prepared to snap ties with the Sena-BJP at the Zilla Parishad level and asked the Congress to initiate the process at their level as well.
"I have issued a circular to district units of the NCP that if there is a neccessity for an alliance at the local level, it should be with the Congress only. We showed our commitment to the coalition when we dissociated ourselves from Deepak Kesarkar after he refused to campaign for Nilesh Rane of the Congress in the Ratnagiri-Sindhudurg Lok Sabha constituency," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh