No terror link to Maha radio set explosion: Police
Beed: Police ruled out any terror link to the radio set explosion at Kalegaon village in the district even as one person was arrested for planting the parcel on Maharashtra transport bus.
Four persons were injured in the radio set explosion at Kalegaon village in the district on Friday.
"There is no terror angle to the radio set explosion which occurred on Friday. It happened due to personal enmity," Inspector General (IG) Ritesh Kumar told reporters in Beed tonight.
Om Nimbalkar (35), a bus conductor, had taken home a parcel, containing a radio set, which he had found on Mumbai-Ambejogai state transport bus on Friday. When he tried to replace the battery pack, it exploded, seriously injuring his wife Usha (30), mother Kusum (53) and two-year-old son Kunal, besides himself.
Explaining the sequence of events that led to the explosion, Kumar said the parcel was planted by one Aaba alias Munjaba Rajebhau Giri who wanted to settle score with Gopinath Tarkase of Kendrewadi village over an old dispute.
Tarkase had filed a case against Giri last year in Ambejogai police station.
Kumar said police unravelled the mystery through shreds of a letter they collected from Nimbalkar`s house.
"Nimbalkar had told us that there was a letter in the radio box parcel. Police collected small pieces of that letter. After joining these pieces, we found two abbreviations `Amba` and `Kendre` scribbled on it. While Amba stands for Ambejogai tehsil, Kendre is Kendrewadi village. Besides, there were two mobile numbers written there," he said.
Kumar said Giri in order to frame Tarkase fixed a detonator in the radio set which he packed in the parcel before putting the letter in which he wrote two mobile numbers and planted it on Ambaogai-Kurla bus.
"Giri hoped that police will detect the parcel on way and Tarkase will be in trouble as it is in his name," Kumar said.
Replying to a query, the IG said Giri purchased the radio set a month back and detonator--which is used for digging well---from a labourer for Rs 50.
However, Giri`s plan failed as Nimbalkar picked up the parcel and took it home where it exploded on Friday.
Giri has been arrested and a case registered against him in Kaij Police station, Kumar added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof