`Number of absconding accused fell to 10,149 in 2
Mumbai: The number of absconding accused in Maharashtra has fallen to 10,149 at present from 22,000 in 2011 owing to a special drive undertaken by state government to nab them, the Bombay High Court was informed on Monday.
The High Court had taken up the suo moto (on its own) cognisance of an accused - Ramzan Sabit Hussain - who had jumped the bail in 2003.
Initially, when the high court had seized of the matter, over 22,000 persons were not traceable, however the figure came down to around 19,000 as of July 31, 2011.
Additional Public Prosecutor Ajay Gadkari informed the court today that this number stood at 10,149 at present.
"Out of the total 345 absconders held from across Maharashtra in the past one month under a special drive, 68 were from Mumbai", he said, adding, 100 others had died while being at large.
The bench headed by Justice AM Khanwilkar expressed satisfaction over the efforts taken by the government in this regard and asked the authorities to continue the drive.
The court had been informed earlier that the special drive involves setting up of a special team under deputy commissioner of police of every zone to trace the absconders.
Also, a high-power committee has been formed under principal secretary to state home department, which reviews the situation every month, Gadkari said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video