Oil mafia behind Mumbai scribe’s murder?
Mumbai: Police probing the murder of senior investigative journalist Jyotirmoy Dey on Sunday said the killing could be a handiwork of people associated with the oil mafia and the assailants may have been hired from outside Mumbai.
"We are probing the incident from all angles. But our line of investigation is going towards checking the possible involvement of people associated with the oil mafia. The journalist had extensively written a number of news reports on the oil mafia, which may have triggered them to eliminate him," a senior police officer said on condition of anonymity.
Dey had extensively covered crime and underworld over two decades.
"We have a reason to believe that the killers must have been hired from outside Mumbai or maybe from outside Maharashtra," the officer said, adding four teams have been formed by the Crime Branch to probe the matter on a priority basis.
The way the killing was executed, it was very clear that the assailants had made a perfect plan to eliminate the journalist, the officer said.
Meanwhile, the postmortem report, prepared by government-run JJ Hospital says that five bullets were fired at the journalist. While four bullets pierced through his body, one bullet had stuck in his right chest.
"Three bullets had hit on his left arm and one on his left chest. One bullet got stuck in his right chest," said the officer.
Dey`s last rites were performed at suburban Ghatkopar here. Scribes from various print and electronic media were present. An emergency meeting has been called by Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan to discuss the murder of Dey, who was shot dead by unidentified assailants in suburban Powai yesterday, sending shock waves in the media fraternity.
State Home Minister RR Patil and Mumbai Police Commissioner Arup Patnaik would be attending the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow