One among 9 Congress MLCs to vacate seat for Chavan: MPCC
Mumbai: Maharashtra Pradesh Congress
Committee (MPCC) said on Monday that one among nine party MLCs elected
from the MLAs quota would vacate the seat for Chief Minister
Prithviraj Chavan as and when asked by the party leadership.
Talking to reporters, MPCC President Manikrao Thakre
denied there was any resentment among the MLCs over tendering
resignation since they have not been promised rehabilitation.
Chavan, who took over as CM in November, is not a
member of either State Assembly or Council and has announced
he would like to become a member of the Upper House. It is
mandatory for a Chief Minister or a Minister to become a
member of either House within six months of taking oath.
Thakre said there were four party members of the Upper
House, including himself, whose term ends in 2012. Term of
three others, including Legislative Council Chairman
Shivajirao Deshmukh will end in 2014 and an equal number will
retire in 2016.
"Everyone, including myself, has offered to resign and
those who get instructions from the leadership will do so
To a question, he said there was no problem if Chavan
gets elected from his (Thakre`s) seat. "The CM can get elected
on the existing strength of the Congress in the Assembly."
Thakre said he has no aspirations to become a Rajya
Sabha member in place of Chavan.
Asked about NCP chief Sharad Pawar`s directive to his
party Ministers to demand 50 per cent reservation for women in
the local bodies in the state, Thakre said Congress holds the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre