Police officer arrested for Rs 2,000 bribe
Thane: A junior police officer has been arrested for demanding and accepting a bribe of Rs 2,000 bribe from a local resident, police said on Saturday.
S R Wagh, a Sub-Inspector attached to Thane Police Commissionerate, was trapped by Mumbai unit of Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) while accepting tbe bribe and arrested yesterday, they said.
He has been booked under relevant sections of the Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988.
According to police, on October 22, Wagh demanded a sum of Rs 1.50 lakh from Rajkumar Chavani, a resident of Amberanth, for favouring his wife who faces a criminal case.
Chavani`s wife Barkha, booked under the Copyrights Act and also IPC Section 379 (theft), was recently released on bail by a Kalyan Court.
The Sub-Inspector demanded the bribe for not harassing Barkha while on bail and also speed up the work of submitting chargesheet in the criminal face, according to a complaint lodged by Rajkumar with ACB.
Rajkumar agreed to pay the amount and at the same time tipped off the ACB, which laid a trap and caught Wagh while accepting the first installment at a spot in Shivaji Nagar area of Ambernath, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred