Police probe commercial angle in child pornography case
Mumbai: Widening probe into a case in which a
senior Army officer was arrested for allegedly uploading
obscene photographs and clips involving children on internet,
police are verifying if he was part of a world-wide child
pornography racket and did this for monetary gains.
Lt Colonel Jagmohan Balbir Singh (42), hailing from
Punjab and posted in the city, was nabbed from his residence
in South Mumbai on Thursday and was remanded in police custody
till May 12.
"We are verifying if there are any monetary transactions
after Singh uploaded the photographs and clips of pornographic
contents," a police official said.
They were going through the officer`s bank account
details, the policeman said, adding "If Singh is found to have
had any monetary gains then it will enable us to establish his
role in the wide spread child pornography gang."
Singh has been booked under Section 67 (B) (Punishment
for publishing or transmitting of material depicting children
in sexually explicit act, etc. in electronic form) of
Information Technology Act.
While looking for internet-related offences, German
police came across obscene contents being uploaded on a child
pornography site from Mumbai. They brought the issue before
the Interpol, which informed the CBI in Delhi in March 2010.
The CBI brought this issue to Mumbai police.
Singh, who is with the Army`s Supply and Transport wing
in Colaba, South Mumbai, was nabbed on May 6.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen