Police probe commercial angle in child pornography case
Mumbai: Widening probe into a case in which a
senior Army officer was arrested for allegedly uploading
obscene photographs and clips involving children on internet,
police are verifying if he was part of a world-wide child
pornography racket and did this for monetary gains.
Lt Colonel Jagmohan Balbir Singh (42), hailing from
Punjab and posted in the city, was nabbed from his residence
in South Mumbai on Thursday and was remanded in police custody
till May 12.
"We are verifying if there are any monetary transactions
after Singh uploaded the photographs and clips of pornographic
contents," a police official said.
They were going through the officer`s bank account
details, the policeman said, adding "If Singh is found to have
had any monetary gains then it will enable us to establish his
role in the wide spread child pornography gang."
Singh has been booked under Section 67 (B) (Punishment
for publishing or transmitting of material depicting children
in sexually explicit act, etc. in electronic form) of
Information Technology Act.
While looking for internet-related offences, German
police came across obscene contents being uploaded on a child
pornography site from Mumbai. They brought the issue before
the Interpol, which informed the CBI in Delhi in March 2010.
The CBI brought this issue to Mumbai police.
Singh, who is with the Army`s Supply and Transport wing
in Colaba, South Mumbai, was nabbed on May 6.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH