Politics starts over Thane building collapse
Thane: Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) president Manikrao Thakre, who visited the site of the building collapse at Mumbra on Saturday, said the responsibility to keep track of illegal structures lies with the local authorities.
"It is the responsibility of the concerned departments and officials at the local level to check illegal constructions", Thakre told reporters after visiting the site of the building collapse at Lucky Compound near Shil Phata.
Thane Municipal Corporation is controlled by Shiv Sena.
The death toll in the tragedy has mounted to 72 since the under-construction seven-storey illegal building, located at Lucky Compound in Shil Phata area, came down crashing on Thursday evening.
"All of us know that a large number of buildings are built without required permissions", Thakre said.
His comments came against the backdrop of Thane Municipal Commissioner R A Rajeev going on record yesterday to say that 90 per cent of buildings in Mumbra area where Shil Phata, the scene of Thursday`s tragedy is located, are illegal.
The state government has so far suspended a senior police inspector of the Shil-Daighar police station and the deputy municipal commissioner of zone 1 of TMC in connection with the collapse.
On demand by Opposition to take action against the civic chief and other high-ranking officials, Thakre said, "Let us not target anyone. The government has already announced an inquiry. Let us wait for the findings of the investigation".
Responding to a query on whether the illegal structures in Mumbra could be regularised, Thakre said, "Let us not discuss the issue of regularisation at this point of time but to devise effective solution to prevent such tragedies from recurring in future".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon