President lays foundation stone for Jalgaon airport
Jalgaon: President Pratibha Patil Sunday laid the foundation stone for the development and expansion of the Jalgaon airport.
"I congratulate the Airports Authority of India and the civil aviation ministry to have identified the need for developing the Jalgaon airport. Jalgaon is an important trade centre of north Maharashtra and hence the step is appreciated," the president said.
Jalgaon is Patil`s home district and is approximately 600 km from Mumbai.
Patil said that the development of the Jalgaon airport will lead to overall development in the region. "It will not be wrong to say that the development of the airport will lead to development in agriculture, industrialisation, tourism and other sectors," she said.
She said the region boasts of skilled and efficient human resource. "Availability of modern facilities will be an added advantage."
"Investments will get an impetus in the region with the expansion of airport facilities. It will also accelerate the expansion plans of existing industries in the region," Patil said.
Also present at the occasion were Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan, Union Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel, Deputy Chief Minister Chhagan Bhujbal and Airports Authority of India chairman B.P. Agarwal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference