President lays foundation stone for Jalgaon airport
Jalgaon: President Pratibha Patil Sunday laid the foundation stone for the development and expansion of the Jalgaon airport.
"I congratulate the Airports Authority of India and the civil aviation ministry to have identified the need for developing the Jalgaon airport. Jalgaon is an important trade centre of north Maharashtra and hence the step is appreciated," the president said.
Jalgaon is Patil`s home district and is approximately 600 km from Mumbai.
Patil said that the development of the Jalgaon airport will lead to overall development in the region. "It will not be wrong to say that the development of the airport will lead to development in agriculture, industrialisation, tourism and other sectors," she said.
She said the region boasts of skilled and efficient human resource. "Availability of modern facilities will be an added advantage."
"Investments will get an impetus in the region with the expansion of airport facilities. It will also accelerate the expansion plans of existing industries in the region," Patil said.
Also present at the occasion were Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan, Union Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel, Deputy Chief Minister Chhagan Bhujbal and Airports Authority of India chairman B.P. Agarwal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened