Pune blast "prima facie" terror attack: Maharashtra ATS
Zee Media Bureau
Pune: The Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) on Friday said the low-intensity blast in Pune on Thursday afternoon was "prima facie" a terror attack.
The blast had left five people injured.
The ATS today registered a case against unknown persons in connection with the incident.
"Prima facie the blast seems to be part of a terrorist attack. In this connection a case has been registered with Vishrambaug police," a brief statement issued by the Anti-Terrorism Squad said.
A case has been registered under Sections 307 (attempt to murder), 324 (voluntarily causing hurt by dangerous weapons or means), 120 (B) (criminal conspiracy), besides various sections of the Explosives Act and Unlawful Activities Prevention Act.
The ATS has formed 10 teams to crack the case in coordination with the district police.
The statement said evidence collected from the blast site has been sent for chemical and forensic examination and reports are awaited.
Statements of eye-witnesses are being recorded, it added.
A team of the National Security Guard(NSG) also inspected the scene of explosion which has been cordoned off.
There was, however, no official word on whether the investigators have been able to get clues about the perpetrators from CCTV footages being examined by the police or the kind of explosive used to trigger the blast.
The blast caused by an IED planted in a motorcycle at Faraskhana police station`s parking lot had left five injured, including a police constable. The motorbike was stolen from a policeman posted in Satara some time back.
Faraskhana police station is located close to Dagdusheth Halwai Ganesh temple, which has been on the terrorists` radar for quite some time.
In 2010, a suspected Indian Mujahideen (IM) operative Qateel Siddiqui had made a failed attempt to plant a bomb there. He was found strangled to death in Yerawada Central Jail in June 2012.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH