Pune gangrape: Two accused sent to police custody
Pune: In a shocking incident, a 25-year-old married woman was allegedly kidnapped and then raped by a group of three persons inside a share taxi here, police said on Friday.
Two accused - identified as Ranjit and Paresh – have been arrested. While the driver, Subhash, is absconding and hunt is on for him. The arrested have been sent to police custody till April 6.
The victim was staying alone in Hinjewadi area, a suburb on the outskirts of the city, in a rented accommodation since the past fortnight.
"She is married and her husband works in the US. She has done her Masters in Hospital Administration and had come here from Nagpur to look for a job. She had appeared for some interviews," crime branch inspector of Hinjewadi police station N.S. Bhosale-Patil told IANS.
He said that late Thursday evening, as she waited for some transport to go home, a maroon Indica car (No. MH-14-AV-3015) halted and offered her a lift to her destination.
However, the accused drove her to a desolate location and repeatedly gang-raped her, he said.
She was found abandoned by some passersby early today who informed the police and the matter came to light.
After recording her statement, police admitted her to the Y.B. Chavan Hospital for treatment.
Meanwhile, using mobile tracking methods and wireless alerts of the vehicle, they managed to trace the Indica as it attempted to leave the city this morning.
"Moving swiftly and using mobile tracking, the police cracked the case within two hours by nabbing two of the three accused around 3 a.m. today (Friday)," Bhosale-Patil said.
"We nabbed two accused, Ganesh Uttam Kamble, 26, and Ranjit Shahaji Gade, 25, both hailing from Osmanabad district. They are working as drivers and have confessed to their crime," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video