Raise height of platforms by March 31, 2015: HC to Railways
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Wednesday asked the Railways to complete by March 31, 2015 the work of raising the height of platforms, so as to prevent people falling into the gap between footboards of local trains and the platform.
The Railways had said it would take three years, but the division bench headed by Chief Justice Mohit Shah said today that safety of commuters was of paramount importance. It also asked Railway Board to provide funds for the work urgently.
Height of 145 platforms on the western suburban railway line and 72 on the central line was proposed to be raised at the cost of Rs 96 crore, Railways` lawyer Suresh Kumar said.
The Railways had also identified 14 locations in Mumbai for emergency helipads, so that accident victims could be airlifted to hospitals, he said, adding that it had written to Maharashtra government for this purpose.
The court then ordered that notices be issued to the state, to make it a party to this public interest litigation.
These 14 locations are: Azad Maidan (CST), Matunga Gymkhana Ground (Dadar), Railway Colony Ground (Kurla), Dadoji Kondadev Stadium (Thane), Railway School (Kalyan), MIDC (Ambarnath), Adarsh Vidya Mandir Ground (Badlapur), Nandkumar Institute (Bhivpuri Road), Dolphin School (Vangani), Helipad in Lonavala, Near Ganesh temple (Titwala), Railway ground (Igatpuri), Panvel Helipad and YMCA ground (Vasai).
Besides, 12 helipads already exist in and around Mumbai, Railways said. An affidavit filed by the Railways said that because of traffic jams, victims do not reach hospitals in time and "use of helicopters is the only solution".
There is a need to devise a system to make Air Force helicopters available for such rescue operations, it added.
The PIL was taken up by the High Court earlier this year on its own after Monica More, a college student, lost both her arms after falling into a gap between the platform and the footboard at suburban Ghatkopar station while boarding a train.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?