Rape cases are on the rise due to women wearing less clothes: Abu Azmi
Mumbai: In another outrageous comment by a politician against women post the Delhi gang-rape case, Mumbai head of the Samajwadi Party Abu Azmi said on Tuesday that the freedom that women have to move around freely with men should be curtailed.
"Women should not venture out with men who are not relatives," Azmi, a member of Maharashtra assembly, said here.
"What is the need for roaming at night with men who are not relatives? This should be stopped," he said.
"Such incidents (like the Delhi gang-rape) happen due to influence of western culture," Azmi said.
Scantily-clad women attract male attention, Azmi said adding rape cases are on the rise due to "women wearing less clothes."
And in a statement which sounded like the comment made by RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat, Abu Azmi said that rapes were lesser in rural areas than in urban areas because there was less influence of western culture there.
"The number of rape cases in villages are less (compared to cities)," he said.
Azmi added, "if a girl goes with her consent with him (boy friend) to a hotel and does not complain, then it is not an issue. But if the same girl goes with the boy to the hotel and no one knows what happens inside...And if the girl comes out and complains, he would be hanged," Azmi said.
The SP leader also blamed Hindi cinema for increasing crime against women. He said that the nudity that is shown in films must be taken cognizance of.
Meanwhile, while talking to CNN-IBN Abu Azmi’s son, Farhan Azmi apologised and expressed regret over the statement made by his father.
“We need to have a proper dialogue with the previous generation,” he said.
At the same time he added, “This rape issue is very condemnable.”
He also said, “Certain things that my father said was slightly Islamic and we do not want to impose this on anybody,” he said adding “I completely agree that my father made a wrong statement. The words he chose were misplaced.”
“Somewhere there is disconnect between my generation and my father`s generation.”
In the same vein he added, “I think 70 percent of men feel that women today are crossing the line.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'