Rapes on minors outnumber those on women in Mumbai
Mumbai: Rapes on minors have outnumbered those on women in the city, making the former more vulnerable and soft targets of the crime.
Till February this year, the city police has registered 36 rape cases out of which 23 are of rapes on minors.
In 2009, a total of 182 rape cases were registered out of which 128 belong to cases of rapes on minors. In 2008, a total of 216 cases were registered in the city in which 147
belong to cases of rapes on minors.
Joint Police Commissioner Rajnish Seth (Law and Order) says such cases are more as the culprits feel they could easily overpower the minor girls and after committing crimes, they could easily escape.
"In many cases, the culprit either is a relative, neighbour or someone living in the same locality where the girl stays. The culprits feel that they could get away after threatening the girls of dire consequences," he said.
Parents should be more alert and take care of their children so that such incidents could be averted, Seth said.
In order to reduce crime against women, children and senior citizens, City Police has also started 103 helpline two years ago, he said adding, "People should call to this number
and join us preventing rape incidents."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened