Rapes on minors outnumber those on women in Mumbai
Mumbai: Rapes on minors have outnumbered those on women in the city, making the former more vulnerable and soft targets of the crime.
Till February this year, the city police has registered 36 rape cases out of which 23 are of rapes on minors.
In 2009, a total of 182 rape cases were registered out of which 128 belong to cases of rapes on minors. In 2008, a total of 216 cases were registered in the city in which 147
belong to cases of rapes on minors.
Joint Police Commissioner Rajnish Seth (Law and Order) says such cases are more as the culprits feel they could easily overpower the minor girls and after committing crimes, they could easily escape.
"In many cases, the culprit either is a relative, neighbour or someone living in the same locality where the girl stays. The culprits feel that they could get away after threatening the girls of dire consequences," he said.
Parents should be more alert and take care of their children so that such incidents could be averted, Seth said.
In order to reduce crime against women, children and senior citizens, City Police has also started 103 helpline two years ago, he said adding, "People should call to this number
and join us preventing rape incidents."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming