Renowned Marathi novelist Sharanchandra Tongo passes away
Yavatmal: Renowned Marathi novelist
Sharanchandra Tongo passed away in his residence here at 2 pm
He was 94. He was suffering from throat cancer and was
operated upon in 2005. He is survived by his son Dr Abhay
Tongo and daughter Rohini Shende.
He had donated his body to the local Govt Medical
College, hence, the College authorities received the body.
Thousands of his fans and Marathi Literature lovers
thronged his local Bajoria Nagar residence and paid their
homage to the departed soul.
Late Sharadchandra Tongo has written a number of Marathi
Novels. He has also written books for children besides having
a drama to his credit. His drama was staged at the All India
Marathi Natya Sammelan held in 1975 and the former MP
Jambhuwantrao Dhote had played the lead role in the drama.
He was a professor of Marathi Literature in the local
Amolakchand College and retired in 1974 from active teaching
service. He was the President of Vidarbha Marathi Sahitya
Sangh and worked as the President of the reception committee
of All India Marathi Sahitya Sammelan held in Yavatmal in
Tongo was one of the panel members of the Maharashtra
State Secondary Textbook Advisory Committee for a considerable
He was on the editorial board of Marathi weekly Lokmat
when it was initially published from Yavatmal and worked as
editor of the Marathi monthly Sonali of former Chief Minister
Late Sudhakarrao Naik. Sharadchandra Tongo`s sudden demise has
created a void in the field of Marathi Literature and it is
rather difficult to fill up the gap.
Thousands of his fans and lovers of Marathi Literature
thronged to his local Bajoria Nagar residence to have a last
glimpse of their beloved litterateur and paid their homage to
the departed soul.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror