Rs 10.85 crores unaccounted-for cash seized in poll season in Mumbai
Mumbai: The Income Tax Department on Thursday took possession of unaccounted cash of Rs 10 lakh belonging to IY Construction, taking the total amount seized by the tax authorities in the metropolis since the Model Code of Conduct for elections came into force to Rs 10.85 crore.
"The Mumbai police had seized Rs 10 lakh yesterday and today we took over the cash," said an Income Tax official.
Of the Rs 10.85 crore, about Rs 10 crore were seized from two Mumbai-based companies and it had nothing to do with the ongoing elections, IT sources said.
Meanwhile, the Government Railway Police here seized Rs 4 lakh at the Mumbai Central railway station following a tip-off by the IT Department, sources said.
The Income Tax Department had also unearthed another Rs 25 lakh unaccounted-for cash elsewhere, sources said, without giving further details.
IT officials had earlier said that whenever the department receives information about movement of a large amount of cash or bullion, they would investigate it as per the Income Tax Act, and would seize it if no satisfactory explanation is furnished.
People should carry necessary documentary evidence while carrying large amounts of cash or bullion, they had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla