RSS, Shiv Sena trying to disown the Constitution, says NCP
Mumbai: Condemning the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh and the Shiv Sena over the "India is a Hindu nation" remark, the Nationalist Congress Party said here on Tuesday the two organisations are trying to "disown the Constitution", drafted by Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar.
Stoking yet another controversy, RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat had said India is a Hindu nation and Hindutva is its identity, while Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray had backed Bhagwat`s statement.
"India is a secular country. The demand to declare India a Hindu nation was made even before Independence, but Ambedkar rejected these while drafting the Constitution," NCP spokesperson Nawab Malik told reporters here.
"Despite this, RSS and Shiv Sena are propagating the demand for a Hindu Rashtra," Malik said, adding "this is nothing but an attempt to disown the Constitution".
He said if anyone tries to touch the Constitution, the people of the country would not tolerate it.
"Uddhav Thackeray, who blames Pakistan as `bitter gourd`, should put forth his views to Prime Minister Narendra Modi," Malik said.
Modi and Nawaz Sharif have cordial ties, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof