Sena to go ahead with celebrations at Raigad defying ASI ban
Mumbai: Shiv Sena Chief Bal Thackeray Tuesday
said his party will celebrate the anniversary of Chhatrapati
Shivaji Maharaj`s coronation at the Raigad fort, irrespective
of the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) banning any such
In a strongly-worded editorial in his party mouthpiece
`Saamna`, Thackeray said despite being surrounded by Mughals
from all corners, the coronation ceremony was held at Raigad
fort on June 6, 1674. "No Mughal emperor could stop it. Then
who are the present day ASI officials?"
Thackeray`s comments come in the backdrop of report that
the ASI has declined permission to hold a function at Raigad
fort citing provisions of Archaeological sites and Remains
(Amendment and Validation) Act 2010.
Thackeray said over the last several years, followers of
the great Maratha warrior king gather at Raigad to commemorate
the historic event. Last year, Chief Minister Ashok Chavan had
declared that the event on June 6 this year would be a state
The Sena chief also hit out at the Congress-NCP for
remaining silent on the ASI order. "Congress is more busy on
how to get its fourth candidate elected in the Legislative
council election. While NCP has to resort to horse trading to
get its two candidates elected to Rajya Sabha," Thackeray
He alleged that the ASI is a "useless" department which
has only "killed" the history related to Marathi bravery. "It
prevents hoisting of saffron flag on Sindhudurg fort. If not
saffron, then should we hoist the `chand tara` of Aurangzeb
and Afzal Khan," Thackeray said.
He claimed that instead of protecting Shivaji`s forts in
Maharashtra, the ASI is more interested in maintaining Afzal
Khan`s grave at Pratapgad fort.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why