Serial blasts rock Pune, alert across Maharashtra
Pune: High alert was declared in the state of Maharashtra as a series of well-coordinated bomb blasts ripped through the heart of Pune on Wednesday.
Four blasts of low intensity took place in quick succession within a radius of 500 metres of Jangali Maharaj Road, injuring one - the very person carrying the explosives.
Home Secretary RK Singh has not ruled out terror angle saying that the blasts have been carried out in a very well-planned manner.
However, Home minister Sushil Kumar Shinde dodged the questions over a terror link to the blasts and said that these were minor blasts that occurred between 7.27 pm and 8.15 pm.
Police Commissioner of Pune, Gulabrao Pol, spoke to Zee News saying that detonators and batteries were used in the blasts.
He further said that one of the blasts occurred in a plastic bag being carried by a person, who got injured. He has been identified as Dayanand Patil and is being interrogated by the police.
Trying to avert a wave of panic among citizens, Pune Police Commissioner said that the blasts were of low intensity and public need not panic. He assured, "Police are alert and doing their job".
Three blasts took place on bicycle and the fourth in a garbage dump.
First explosion occurred in a garbage dump near McDonalds outlet after which another blast took place outside Bal Gandarv theatre auditorium.
Very significantly, Sushil Kumar Shinde, was to arrive here this evening.
Third explosion occured near Dena Bank ATM, where the bomb was kept on a bicycle career.
Fourth blast took place at Garware bridge.
Two more live bombs were recovered from the area, which were diffused by the bomb disposal squad.
Maharashtra Anti-Terrorist Squad has been handed over the investigation of the serial blasts.
The first visuals on Zee News showed cops flashing torches over the garbage heap outside the Bal Gandarv auditorium.
The police have also accessed the CCTV footage of the area, which is being viewed for further information.
The blasts bring back the tragic memories of the fateful German Bakery blasts that had claimed 17 lives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption