Shakti mill gang-rape case: Editor to be examined as defence witness
Mumbai: A sessions court, conducting trial in the Shakti mill telephone operator gang rape case, on Monday allowed defence lawyers to examine the editor of a city-based English daily as a witness.
"The defence has submitted a list of the witnesses to be examined by them, but for now the court has given permission to call the editor as a witness," said Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam.
Police had arrested Mohammed Ashfaq Sheikh, Mohamed Kasim Hafiz Sheikh alias Kasim Bangali, Salim Ansari, Vijay Jadhav and a minor for raping the 18-year-old telephone operator on July 31 last year.
A charge sheet was filed against the four accused on October 8 while the trial of the juvenile was separated.
In another case, a young journalist, interning with an English magazine, was gang raped by five persons, including a juvenile, on the same compound in August last year.
Vijay Jadhav, Kasim Bengali and Salim Ansari are the common accused in the gang rape of the journalist.
While four out of five accused, namely Vijay Jadhav, Kasim Bengali, Salim Ansari and Siraj Rehman, were charged with rape, conspiracy, common intention, unnatural sex and charges under Information Technology Act, the trial of the juvenile was separated.
The Mumbai crime branch had on September 19 filed a 600-page charge sheet against the four accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31