Shiv Sainiks will decide on Bal Thackeray`s memorial
Mumbai: Appealing for restrain over the debate on erecting a memorial for his late father and Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray, party executive president Uddhav Thackeray Tuesday said, the decision in this regard will be taken by lakhs of Sainiks.
"This is not the time to argue on the issue of memorial. A tragedy has befallen the Thackeray family and the extended family of Shiv Sena has not recovered from this terrible loss.
Those arguing against the memorial should take our sentiments into consideration. Those arguing should help us to maintain restrain," Uddhav said in a statement here.
"The crowd of 25 lakh supporters who attended the funeral of the Sena chief behaved in a disciplined manner. I appreciate their restrain," he said.
With the voices in favour and against the Sena patriarch`s memorial getting louder, Uddhav said, "the decision on the memorial will be taken by these lakhs of followers. I will not come in between the Sena chief and the shiv sainiks".
Both Congress and NCP are treading cautiously on the memorial issue.
State Congress president Manikrao Thakre had said that it was up to the government to take a decision on permitting a memorial.
"If the government seeks the state Congress view, I will give it to the the authorities," he added.
NCP spokesperson Nawab Malik said since the Shivaji Park ground, where Thackeray was cremated on Sunday, falls under the jurisdiction of Shiv Sena-BJP-controlled Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) "it is upto them to take a decision".
Maharashtra Government has said that it would "positively consider" the proposal for memorial if the demand was made.
However, Shivaji Park resident organisations have opposed the move.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack