Shiv Sainiks will decide on Bal Thackeray`s memorial
Mumbai: Appealing for restrain over the debate on erecting a memorial for his late father and Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray, party executive president Uddhav Thackeray Tuesday said, the decision in this regard will be taken by lakhs of Sainiks.
"This is not the time to argue on the issue of memorial. A tragedy has befallen the Thackeray family and the extended family of Shiv Sena has not recovered from this terrible loss.
Those arguing against the memorial should take our sentiments into consideration. Those arguing should help us to maintain restrain," Uddhav said in a statement here.
"The crowd of 25 lakh supporters who attended the funeral of the Sena chief behaved in a disciplined manner. I appreciate their restrain," he said.
With the voices in favour and against the Sena patriarch`s memorial getting louder, Uddhav said, "the decision on the memorial will be taken by these lakhs of followers. I will not come in between the Sena chief and the shiv sainiks".
Both Congress and NCP are treading cautiously on the memorial issue.
State Congress president Manikrao Thakre had said that it was up to the government to take a decision on permitting a memorial.
"If the government seeks the state Congress view, I will give it to the the authorities," he added.
NCP spokesperson Nawab Malik said since the Shivaji Park ground, where Thackeray was cremated on Sunday, falls under the jurisdiction of Shiv Sena-BJP-controlled Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) "it is upto them to take a decision".
Maharashtra Government has said that it would "positively consider" the proposal for memorial if the demand was made.
However, Shivaji Park resident organisations have opposed the move.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM