Shiv Sena MLA Ghosalkar gets interim protection from arrest
Mumbai: The sessions court here on Thrusday granted interim protection from arrest to local Shiv Sena MLA Vinod Ghosalkar, accused of harassment by a woman corporator of his own party.
"The court has granted interim protection to Ghosalkar till March 11," public prosecutor Nileema Kasture said.
Ghosalkar has applied for anticipatory bail. His lawyer argued that the offence registered against him was bailable, and he was cooperating with the police.
The crime branch of the Mumbai police is likely to submit its say at the next hearing.
Suburban Dahisar police on February 5 registered a case against Ghosalkar under section 501 (printing or engraving matter known to be defamatory), 506 (criminal intimidation) and 509 (outraging the modesty of a woman).
According to the woman corporator, Ghosalkar started threatening her after she complained against a builder who had dumped construction debris in a mangrove patch.
She said she started getting obscene calls from unknown numbers as her phone number had been scribbled on the walls of a public toilet in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown