Shiv Sena MLA Ghosalkar gets interim protection from arrest
Mumbai: The sessions court here on Thrusday granted interim protection from arrest to local Shiv Sena MLA Vinod Ghosalkar, accused of harassment by a woman corporator of his own party.
"The court has granted interim protection to Ghosalkar till March 11," public prosecutor Nileema Kasture said.
Ghosalkar has applied for anticipatory bail. His lawyer argued that the offence registered against him was bailable, and he was cooperating with the police.
The crime branch of the Mumbai police is likely to submit its say at the next hearing.
Suburban Dahisar police on February 5 registered a case against Ghosalkar under section 501 (printing or engraving matter known to be defamatory), 506 (criminal intimidation) and 509 (outraging the modesty of a woman).
According to the woman corporator, Ghosalkar started threatening her after she complained against a builder who had dumped construction debris in a mangrove patch.
She said she started getting obscene calls from unknown numbers as her phone number had been scribbled on the walls of a public toilet in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon