Shiv Sena opposes Vidarbha demand
New Delhi: With Centre`s decision on Telangana likely to have a bearing on similar demands for statehood in other regions, Shiv Sena on Sunday it would not allow breakup of Maharashtra.
"It has always been our stand that we will not allow breakup of Maharashtra," Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray told reporters to a query on the prospect of formation of a separate Vidarbha at a time when a decision on Telangana appeared to be on the cards.
His remarks are significant as it is believed that the demand for separate states like Vidarbha could gain momentum if the Centre decides to carve out Telangana from Andhra Pradesh.
The press conference at which Thackeray`s son Aaditya and party leaders in the Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha Anant Geete and Sanjay Raut were also present saw the Sena chief ignoring questions concerning the MNS, indicating thereby that the ties with his estranged cousin Raj Thackeray are far from cordial.
Asked about the party`s stand on a grand memorial for Shivaji Maharaj, he shot back "afterall a memorial has to be built in Maharashtra, it will be of Shivaji and not of Dawood".
Dawood Ibrahim is a notorious underworld don said to be living in Pakistan.
Thackeray, however, said that the Congress always uses the issue of memorial for Shivaji in elections and has made it an issue in the last three polls.
Dismissing reports about some Shiv Sena MPs planning to leave the party ahead of elections, he said that there are "no migratory birds" in his organisation.
To a query on the poll outcome of the Sangli Municipal Corporation where Congress won defeating the NCP and the Shiv sena fared poorly, Thackeray said that he was also to blame for not paying proper attention.
But he assured people that such a thing will not be repeated.
He sought to disapprove of BJP chief Rajnath Singh`s reported remarks that English language has hurt the Indian culture.
He said that English is a language of opportunity and as his grandfather Prabodhankar Thackeray used to say that "one should have respect for his mother tongue, he should not ignore English".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark