Shiv Sena to observe Bal Thackeray`s birth anniversary as `pledge day`
Mumbai: Shiv Sena will observe January 23, the birth anniversary of Sena supremo late Bal Thackeray, as "Pratigya Divas" (pledge) with a massive rally in Mumbai, party president Uddhav Thackeray Monday said.
Uddhav told reporters here that he has appealed Shiv Sainiks to converge at Sommaiya grounds in Mumbai, instead of organising various functions in their native places, to take a pledge to fulfil the late Sena chief`s dreams.
However, he clarified that the rally was not a show of strength after Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s massive rally in Mumbai last month.
"We know whom to show our strength to...January 23, like Dussehra and Shiv Sena Foundation Day, is an auspicious day for us. There are lot of emotions and sentiments attached as Shiv Sena is like a family. I will not allow the Sainiks to be demoralised and will fulfil the responsibility entrusted to me. We will enter the poll arena with a determination to win," he said.
On whether BJP leaders will be invited, he said the public meeting was for the Shiv Sainiks to take a pledge.
When asked about MNS chief Raj Thackeray`s view that Narendra Modi should have quit as Gujarat Chief Minister after being declared as the BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate, Uddhav said, "It is not necessary for me to comment on other`s views. Whatever is happening now is appropriate."
He said Sena`s vision is not just to win elections.
"We are here to serve people and can do it in a better way by being in power. Our four-and-a-half years of rule in Maharashtra was the best," he said, recalling that Congress leaders promised free electricity to farmers before elections and scrapped the decision after winning it.
Replying to questions, the Sena leader said there is a wave against the Congress in the country.
"We have to be alert and not be complacent and this is what we are going to pledge at the January 23 rally," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender