Shiv Sena to oppose new property tax system
Thane: The ruling Shiv Sena-BJP alliance in Thane Municipal Corporation (TMC) today opposed the proposal by the civic chief to revise the property tax structure.
Municipal Commissioner R A Rajeev had moved in April the proposal seeking to introduce a capital value-based structure to calculate property tax replacing the existing mechanism based on rateable value.
Addressing a press conference here Shiv Sena MLA Ekanth Shinde said that the civic body will reject this proposal in its next general body meeting, as majority of property owners in the city feel that the new system will burden them with additional tax.
The proposal which is being aggressively pushed by the civic chief seeks to introduce a capital value-based structure to calculate property tax. Property tax payable to the municipality is said to increase at least two-fold under the revised structure.
Refuting the argument, Shinde claimed that tax collection has risen steadily from Rs 204.22 crore in 2009-10 to Rs 234.53 crore in 2011-12.
The MLA appealed to the civic administration to tap other options to gross tax and plug the loopholes in existing system.
Shinde said he had apprised executive president Uddhav Thackeray about the party`s position on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok