Six from Mumbai drown in sea at Raigad
Alibaug: Six persons, all traders from Mumbai, drowned in the sea at Ekadara beach in Murud area of Maharashtra`s Raigad district this morning, police said.
Fifteen people, all small traders from Chembur suburb in Mumbai, hired a mini-bus and went to the beach for a picnic in the morning, an official at Murud police station told PTI.
While they were enjoying the picnic, six of them ventured into the waters for swimming and drowned, he said.
The other picnickers immediately raised an alarm and informed the police.
After a few hours, owing to high tide, the body of one of the six was found floating near the beach.
Later, by the time police reached the beach-side at around 2 PM, five more bodies were found floating in the waters, he said.
The bodies were brought to Murud government hospital for post mortem, the official said.
The deceased have been identified as Rohit Jhala, Vinod Zalai, Sanjay Panchal, Dinesh Pawar, Dilip Gole and Shankar Chavan (all in the age group of 40-45 years), he said.
A case has been registered in this regard, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon