Six school children, driver killed in Maharashtra accident
Osmanabad: At least six students on a school excursion were killed when their bus met with an accident on the Solapur-Dhule highway in Maharashtra on Saturday morning, police said. The bus driver was also killed.
The school children were all in the 14-16 years age group.
The vehicle was carrying students of Sangawade Secondary School of Kolhapur to Tuljapur Temple in Osmanabad district.
Ten children injured in the accident are under treatment at the nearby Ashwini Hospital. The condition of six of them is reported to be critical.
The accident took place around 8 am when the bus was negotiating a sharp turn near the Nagoba Temple, around 15 km from the famous pilgrim centre of Tuljapur, and about 440 km from the state capital.
A speeding private tourist bus was coming from the opposite direction and the two buses collided head-on at the sharp turn, an official at the Osmanabad Police Control Room, said.
The victims were: School bus driver Pratap Surve and students Pankaj Kumbhar, Akshay Patil, Suraj Patil, Vallabh Kambhe, Ganesh Kumbhar and Akash Shirke.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video