Sonia to launch health programme in Thane on Feb 6
Thane: Congress President Sonia Gandhi will launch a health scheme here on February 6 under a series of programmes to be rolled out countrywide as part of the National Rural Health Mission.
The first programme to be launched in Palghar by the Centre under "Mission Health" will provide medical facilities and equipment for check-up, treatment and surgery of students from Balwadi, Anganwadi and primary schools, Maharashtra Minister of State for Tribal Welfare Rajendra Gavit said.
The scheme will be launched in Palghar on a pilot basis and then extended to various regions in the country, Gavit said. Maharashtra Health Minister Suresh Shetty is already holding preparatory meetings with senior officials in the district to oversee the arrangement for Sonia`s visit.
A mega health camp will also be organised on February 6 and more than 56,000 students from the entire district from fifth to twelfth grade will undergo medical check-up, he said.
A seven-member team comprising two doctors and nurses will undertake the check up of the students, who will be subjected to medical tests every three months free of cost.
Union Health Minister Gulam Nabi Azad, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar and Health Minister Suresh Shetty will be present on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- Pakistan's attrocities on Gilgit-Baltistan to Mehbooba's hard hitting attitude on Kashmir violence
- NASA probe set to make closest approach yet to Jupiter
- Daraya under govt control after last rebels evacuated: Syria Army
- West Indies vs India, 1st T20I: MS Dhoni & Co fall short by one run in world record run chase
- Belgian Grand Prix: Nico Rosberg beats Max Verstappen to grab pole position
- EPL 2016-17, Gameweek 3: Saturday football — Chelsea take pole, Arsenal end winless run