South Asia Media Comm flays attack on TOI office
New Delhi: The South Asia Media Commission on Friday expressed serious concern over the attack on The Times of India newspaper`s office in Mumbai last week, saying the incident proved that there was "no thaw" in targeting of media by non-state players due to perceived grivances against it.
"The attack on the office of Times of India group in Mumbai on Saturday is a matter of serious concern," KK Katyal, South Asia Media Commission President, said in a statement.
Suspected Shiv Sena workers had vandalised the reception area of Times of India (TOI) building apparently irked by a report in Marathi daily `Maharashtra Times` which speculated that a sitting Sena MP was on his way to NCP. The newspaper
belongs to the TOI group.
"The incident proved -- if a proof was needed – that there is no thaw in the activities of non-state players in targeting the media because of their perceived grievances against published reports," he said.
Holding that Mumbai has lived up to its "notoriety" because of recent anti-media cases, Katyal said the attacks on journalists by non-state sections is an "India-wide
He said incidents against the media in the interior areas often do not get attention.
Referring to arrests made by Mumbai police in the case, he said all those involved in the attack must be apprehended and cases must be taken to court expeditiously to get deterrent punishment for the accused.
Police have already arrested 28 persons suspected to be Shiv Sena members.
The Commission is an associate of South Asian Free Media Association (SAFMA).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says