Sri Lankan national smuggles Rs 15 lakh gold in rectum
Mumbai: In one of the rare cases of a metal being secretly imported, a Sri Lankan national was arrested at Mumbai international airport for allegedly trying to smuggle gold in his rectum while coming from Dubai, a customs official said here on Tuesday.
The passenger, identified as Abdul Rehman (35), had stuffed five gold biscuits, weighing 500 grams and valued at Rs 15 lakh, in his rectum to hoodwink the customs officials at the airport.
Rehman landed in Mumbai from Dubai on an Emirates flight yesterday morning. He was among the first three passengers to walk towards the Customs green channel with only a hand luggage, the official said.
However, the foreign national`s nervous behaviour led the officials to suspect something amiss but checking of his luggage revealed nothing, he said.
While his body was being frisked with a metal detector, it started beeping around his waist following which he was grilled.
"Thorough questioning led Rehman to confess that he was carrying five gold biscuits in his rectum. He then squatted to get the gold biscuits out," the official said.
The accused had wrapped the biscuits in carbon paper, put a tape on them and lathered them with cream before hiding them in his rectum, he said.
The accused was planning to sell the yellow metal in Mumbai, the official said, adding that he had made 25 trips between Mumbai and Dubai, and this year it was his 13th visit.
Officials suspect he might have been involved in smuggling during earlier visits also.
- REVEALED: Outdoing Virat Kohli makes AB de Villiers 'proud' - Here's why!
- Birthday special: Anushka Sharma is the selfie queen of Bollywood! Here's a proof
- UNBELIEVABLE! CEO of Baba Ramdev's Patanjali Ayurved works for 15 hours/day but takes no salary!
- Technology has opened up our cinema to everybody: Aishwarya Rai Bachchan
- HILARIOUS! How Virender Sehwag trolled birthday boy Rohit Sharma in his inimitable style