Student bodies oppose Private Universities Bill
Mumbai: The passage of Private Universities
Bill by the Maharashtra legislature last month has evoked
adverse reaction from the students` associations.
At a recent conference at the Mumbai University, the
students as well the associations opposed the bill, saying
that it was passed in a ‘hurry’ (during the ruckus in the
House over to Maval police firing).
The bill allows setting up of self-financed private
But the conference deliberated on the lack of provision
for reservations, absence of fee regulation and redress
mechanism, and the free hand given to founders in appointing
"Government passed the bill in a hurry. This shows that
it has a lot to hide. There is no provision for participation
of students, like in the Maharashtra Universities Act through
the senate," said Varadraj Bapat, faculty member-IIT-Bombay
and vice president of Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad.
He also said there was only a vague mention of
affirmative action. Secondly, there was no regulation of fees.
The Supreme Court had allowed private institutions to fix
their fees, but had also called for a comprehensive fee
regulation act, which was pending in Maharashtra, he said.
The conference had been organised by the SC, ST, OBC
Students and Teachers` Association.
Sainath Durge of the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena students
wing called for an action committee to oppose the bill.
"The bill looks at education as a private industry and a
business," he alleged.
Political parties too have taken exception to absence of
provision for reservations in the bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof