Woman dies of swine flu in Pune, death toll climbs to 44
Pune: A 30-year-old woman has succumbed
to swine flu at a private hospital here, taking the toll in
the viral infection in the city to 44.
Sharada Phulpati died last night, hospital authorities
said on Wednesday.
The flu continues to spread in the city with
authorities reporting positive cases in one more school and
two colleges in the city yesterday.
According to Dr Ashok Mehta, Joint Director, Health,
29 schools and six colleges in the city have so far reported
swine flu cases since the first fatality on August 3.
A total of 21 patients are in ICU out of which eight were
on ventilator, he added.
The National Institute of Virology (NIV), which is the
only designated lab for testing of throat swabs for the virus,
is flooded with samples of suspected patients, resulting in
delay in obtaining results.
Health officials are looking into the possibility of
authorising private labs to test for the virus to reduce the
load on NIV.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology