Woman dies of swine flu in Pune, death toll climbs to 44
Pune: A 30-year-old woman has succumbed
to swine flu at a private hospital here, taking the toll in
the viral infection in the city to 44.
Sharada Phulpati died last night, hospital authorities
said on Wednesday.
The flu continues to spread in the city with
authorities reporting positive cases in one more school and
two colleges in the city yesterday.
According to Dr Ashok Mehta, Joint Director, Health,
29 schools and six colleges in the city have so far reported
swine flu cases since the first fatality on August 3.
A total of 21 patients are in ICU out of which eight were
on ventilator, he added.
The National Institute of Virology (NIV), which is the
only designated lab for testing of throat swabs for the virus,
is flooded with samples of suspected patients, resulting in
delay in obtaining results.
Health officials are looking into the possibility of
authorising private labs to test for the virus to reduce the
load on NIV.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city