Woman dies of swine flu in Pune, death toll climbs to 44
Pune: A 30-year-old woman has succumbed
to swine flu at a private hospital here, taking the toll in
the viral infection in the city to 44.
Sharada Phulpati died last night, hospital authorities
said on Wednesday.
The flu continues to spread in the city with
authorities reporting positive cases in one more school and
two colleges in the city yesterday.
According to Dr Ashok Mehta, Joint Director, Health,
29 schools and six colleges in the city have so far reported
swine flu cases since the first fatality on August 3.
A total of 21 patients are in ICU out of which eight were
on ventilator, he added.
The National Institute of Virology (NIV), which is the
only designated lab for testing of throat swabs for the virus,
is flooded with samples of suspected patients, resulting in
delay in obtaining results.
Health officials are looking into the possibility of
authorising private labs to test for the virus to reduce the
load on NIV.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden