Woman held for bid to sell off minor for prostitution
Mumbai: A 24-year-old woman, along with her husband, was arrested from suburban Andheri for allegedly trying to sell her minor sister for prostitution, police said Wednesday.
The accused, identified as Samina Darzi, and her husband Mohammed, walked into the trap set up by the members of a local NGO and were held yesterday while accepting an advance of Rs 50,000 towards the "deal` to sell Samina`s 12-year-old sister for flesh trade, they said.
According to police, Mohammed was promised a "good deal" by a middleman Mohammed Idrishi who was arrested later.
The NGO, however, got the wind of the "deal" and contacted Idrishi by posing as clients, saying they were searching for minor girls.
"Idrishi then got in touch with Darzis and promised them to pay Rs 70,000 for the minor girl, following which the couple contacted the minor girl`s parents in Bangladesh and convinced them to send her to Mumbai on the pretext of providing her education", said a police officer.
Idrishi then met the NGO members and fixed the deal for Rs 70,000 on Monday. He asked them to bring an advance of Rs 50,000 for the girl after showing them her photograph.
"The accused then brought the girl outside Andheri railway station when police caught them while accepting Rs 50,000 from the NGO members", the officer said.
The accused were booked under relevant sections of IPC for kidnapping, selling the girl for prostitution and criminal conspiracy, he said.
The accused were produced in a local court which remanded them in police custody till April 4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened