Woman held for bid to sell off minor for prostitution
Mumbai: A 24-year-old woman, along with her husband, was arrested from suburban Andheri for allegedly trying to sell her minor sister for prostitution, police said Wednesday.
The accused, identified as Samina Darzi, and her husband Mohammed, walked into the trap set up by the members of a local NGO and were held yesterday while accepting an advance of Rs 50,000 towards the "deal` to sell Samina`s 12-year-old sister for flesh trade, they said.
According to police, Mohammed was promised a "good deal" by a middleman Mohammed Idrishi who was arrested later.
The NGO, however, got the wind of the "deal" and contacted Idrishi by posing as clients, saying they were searching for minor girls.
"Idrishi then got in touch with Darzis and promised them to pay Rs 70,000 for the minor girl, following which the couple contacted the minor girl`s parents in Bangladesh and convinced them to send her to Mumbai on the pretext of providing her education", said a police officer.
Idrishi then met the NGO members and fixed the deal for Rs 70,000 on Monday. He asked them to bring an advance of Rs 50,000 for the girl after showing them her photograph.
"The accused then brought the girl outside Andheri railway station when police caught them while accepting Rs 50,000 from the NGO members", the officer said.
The accused were booked under relevant sections of IPC for kidnapping, selling the girl for prostitution and criminal conspiracy, he said.
The accused were produced in a local court which remanded them in police custody till April 4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP win big with 81 seats, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis Maharashtra thanks Maharashtra voters, PM Modi
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP emerges as big winner in Mumbai, sweeps Pune, Amravati, Nagpur, Nashik
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Counting underway; Shiv Sena way ahead of BJP, leading in 40 seats