Mumbai: The death warrant of 1993 serial blasts convict Yakub Memon was executed after completing necessary judicial procedures and he had exhausted all available legal and constitutional remedies, Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis told the Assembly on Thursday.
Making a statement in the House on the hanging of Yakub, Fadnavis said the execution was done after completing all judicial procedures and the convict had exhausted all legal and constitutional remedies.
The 53-year-old blasts conspirator was hanged in Nagpur Central Jail at 7 am, the Chief Minister, who also holds the Home portfolio, informed the Lower House.
Fadnavis said the government took utmost care to ensure there was no tension in the state, especially Mumbai, the hometown of Memons following the execution.
Adequate security arrangements were made in Mumbai, Nagpur and other parts of the state to maintain law and order and social media platforms were also kept under watch, he said.
"Close watch was kept on developments on Internet and social media. The state was peaceful. I appeal to all to maintain peace and tranquillity in the state," Fadnavis said.
He said Yakub's family was informed about the death warrant issued by Special TADA Court 14 days ago and his body handed over to the family after completing all legal formalities.
The body of Yakub, brought to Mumbai from Nagpur earlier in the day, was buried at Bada Kabristan graveyard in Chandanwadi, Fadnavis said.
Yakub, a chartered accountant by profession, was sentenced to death for his role in the serial bombings on March 12, 1993 which left 257 dead and 713 injured.
He was found guilty of conspiracy (under IPC Section 120-B) and financing terror operations by arranging for tickets of accused who were sent to Pakistan from Mumbai via Dubai for arms training.