Youth Cong wants Rahul to campaign in BMC polls
Mumbai: The Congress in Maharashtra is
keen on getting its general secretary Rahul Gandhi to campaign
for the party in February 16 polls to the prestigious
Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC).
"We will send an invite to Rahul Gandhi requesting him
to spend at least a day in campaigning for the BMC elections,"
Sadaf Aboli, Mumbai Pradesh Youth Congress (MPYC) president,
told a news agency.
He said if the young Congress MP comes here it will
make a huge difference to the fortunes of the party, which in
alliance with Sharad Pawar-led NCP, is seeking to end the long
saffron rule at India`s richest civic body which boasts of a
yearly budget of over Rs 20,000 crore.
"If he addresses 2-3 rallies, it will make a huge
difference for the Congress-NCP alliance. It will boost the
morale of candidates and increase their winning chances," he
As soon as the campaigning for the first phase of the
Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections gets over (in early Feb),
invitation would be sent across to Gandhi, Aboli stated.
Congress will contest 169 seats in the 227-strong BMC,
while NCP will field candidates in 58.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'