1000 detained, five cases registered for IAC protest
New Delhi: Five cases were on Sunday registered against unknown persons for rioting and violating prohibitory orders in connection with the protest of erstwhile Team Anna during which around 1,000 people were detained, including activists Arvind Kejriwal and Prashant Bhushan.
Twenty-one people, including 15 policemen, were injured when security personnel used force and water cannons and lobbed teargas shells to disperse the crowd which was marching to the residences of the Prime Minister and Congress and BJP presidents.
Twenty rounds of tear gas shells were fired to disperse the crowd at Janpath near Sonia Gandhi`s residence and Tuglaq Road and Akbar Road where protesters had gathered to march to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s residence on Race Course Road.
"Five cases on charges of rioting, violation of Section 144 etc against unknown have been registered. Fifteen policemen are among 21 injured during the protest.
We have detained 974 and were released," a senior police official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why