1000 detained, five cases registered for IAC protest
New Delhi: Five cases were on Sunday registered against unknown persons for rioting and violating prohibitory orders in connection with the protest of erstwhile Team Anna during which around 1,000 people were detained, including activists Arvind Kejriwal and Prashant Bhushan.
Twenty-one people, including 15 policemen, were injured when security personnel used force and water cannons and lobbed teargas shells to disperse the crowd which was marching to the residences of the Prime Minister and Congress and BJP presidents.
Twenty rounds of tear gas shells were fired to disperse the crowd at Janpath near Sonia Gandhi`s residence and Tuglaq Road and Akbar Road where protesters had gathered to march to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s residence on Race Course Road.
"Five cases on charges of rioting, violation of Section 144 etc against unknown have been registered. Fifteen policemen are among 21 injured during the protest.
We have detained 974 and were released," a senior police official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Ravindra Jadeja gets engaged to Rajkot-based mechanical engineer Reeva Solanki
- Smoking hot! Deepika Padukone's first look in 'xXx' with Vin Diesel creates storm!
- Cancer: Early warning signs you shouldn't ignore!