1000 detained, five cases registered for IAC protest
New Delhi: Five cases were on Sunday registered against unknown persons for rioting and violating prohibitory orders in connection with the protest of erstwhile Team Anna during which around 1,000 people were detained, including activists Arvind Kejriwal and Prashant Bhushan.
Twenty-one people, including 15 policemen, were injured when security personnel used force and water cannons and lobbed teargas shells to disperse the crowd which was marching to the residences of the Prime Minister and Congress and BJP presidents.
Twenty rounds of tear gas shells were fired to disperse the crowd at Janpath near Sonia Gandhi`s residence and Tuglaq Road and Akbar Road where protesters had gathered to march to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s residence on Race Course Road.
"Five cases on charges of rioting, violation of Section 144 etc against unknown have been registered. Fifteen policemen are among 21 injured during the protest.
We have detained 974 and were released," a senior police official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara