119 suicides in paramilitary forces in 2011: Govt
New Delhi: Altogether 119 incidents of suicide amongst paramilitary personnel were reported last year with the lead anti-naxal operations force CRPF recording the maximum of 42 instances.
The border guarding force BSF recorded 39 such instances, SSB 12, CISF 11, ITBP and NSG three each, while the Assam Rifles reported 9 such cases during 2011.
The total suicide instances stood at 119 last year as compared to 101 the previous year amongst these forces deployed for a variety of internal security duties in different parts of the country.
Minister of State for Home Jitendra Singh gave this information in a written reply in the Rajya Sabha on Wednesday.
A total of 11 fragging (killing another member of the same fighting squad) instances were also reported during the same period in these forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...