119 suicides in paramilitary forces in 2011: Govt
New Delhi: Altogether 119 incidents of suicide amongst paramilitary personnel were reported last year with the lead anti-naxal operations force CRPF recording the maximum of 42 instances.
The border guarding force BSF recorded 39 such instances, SSB 12, CISF 11, ITBP and NSG three each, while the Assam Rifles reported 9 such cases during 2011.
The total suicide instances stood at 119 last year as compared to 101 the previous year amongst these forces deployed for a variety of internal security duties in different parts of the country.
Minister of State for Home Jitendra Singh gave this information in a written reply in the Rajya Sabha on Wednesday.
A total of 11 fragging (killing another member of the same fighting squad) instances were also reported during the same period in these forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?