119 suicides in paramilitary forces in 2011: Govt
New Delhi: Altogether 119 incidents of suicide amongst paramilitary personnel were reported last year with the lead anti-naxal operations force CRPF recording the maximum of 42 instances.
The border guarding force BSF recorded 39 such instances, SSB 12, CISF 11, ITBP and NSG three each, while the Assam Rifles reported 9 such cases during 2011.
The total suicide instances stood at 119 last year as compared to 101 the previous year amongst these forces deployed for a variety of internal security duties in different parts of the country.
Minister of State for Home Jitendra Singh gave this information in a written reply in the Rajya Sabha on Wednesday.
A total of 11 fragging (killing another member of the same fighting squad) instances were also reported during the same period in these forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'