1984 anti-Sikh riots case: SC dismisses Sajjan Kumar`s plea to quash charges
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In a major setback to Congress leader Sajjan Kumar, the Supreme Court on Tuesday rejected his plea for quashing of charges against him in a 1984 anti-Sikh riots case.
The apex court, while dismissing his plea, asked the Congress leader Sajjan Kumar to face murder trial in a case related to riots in Sultanpuri in 1984.
The apex court passed its order while hearing the petition filed by the Congress leader, who along with others, have been accused of murder in the 1984 Sikh riots.
The Congress leader had earlier sought quashing of charges against him on the grounds that his plea is still pending before the apex court. However, the apex court had refused to stay the trial proceedings.
Earlier, the trial court and high court had also dismissed the plea seeking quashing of charges against them.
Kumar, a former Lok Sabha MP from Outer Delhi, and five others were tried in the case dealing with the killing of five Sikhs - Kehar Singh, Gurpreet Singh, Raghuvender Singh, Narender Pal Singh and Kuldeep Singh, who were members of the same family, by a mob in Delhi Cantonment`s Raj Nagar area.
The case against Kumar and others was registered in 2005 on a recommendation by Justice GT Nanavati Commission. CBI had filed two charge sheets against him and the other accused in January 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video