1988 pistol deal: Ex-bureaucrat bail plea deferred till Oct 30
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Monday deferred to October 30 the bail plea of an 82-year-old retired bureaucrat, a co-accused with former Union Minister Arun Nehru in a 1988 case of alleged loss of Rs 25 lakh to exchequer in a pistol purchase deal with Czechoslovakia.
The hearing on the bail plea of erstwhile Union Home Ministry`s Additional Secretary BP Singhal had to be deferred as Special CBI Judge Dinesh Kumar Sharma was on leave.
The court had taken cognisance of the case in August this year rejecting the CBI`s probe report, which had sought its closure saying that nothing incriminating was found against Nehru and others during probe.
The court, however, had issued summons against them on August 30 after taking cognisance of the case.
Later on September 15, the CBI had told the court that it has no objection if accused Singhal is granted bail on the ground of his old age and poor health.
It was alleged in the FIR that erstwhile Minister of State for Home Nehru along with Singhal and then Director AK Verma had caused a loss of Rs 25 lakh to the exchequer in the pistol deal with Czechoslovakia in 1988. Verma is already dead.
Singhal had moved the court on August 30 through his counsel SP Ahluwalia for bail saying he is suffering from chronic diseases and had cooperated with the agency during the probe.
The Delhi High Court had earlier exempted Nehru from personal appearance before the trial court till the matter is pending before it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win