1993 blasts convicts not on par with others: State to HC
Mumbai: 1993 Mumbai serial blast convicts
cannot get the same concession as the other TADA convicts
undergoing life sentence, state today told Bombay High Court.
Four convicts in the 1993 blasts case -- Niyaz
Mohammad, Moin Qureshi, Ali Shaikh Umar and Salim Mira Shaikh
-- have moved High Court, seeking release. All of them have
served the mandatory 14 years of their life sentence.
Advocate N N Gawankar, their lawyer, argued that
according to the 1992 prison guidelines they should be
released after serving 30 years. But government recently
issued a notification saying that they would have to serve at
least 60 years in the jail.
Public prosecutor Aruna Pai-Kamat said that the
guidelines as to release of life convicts for TADA, POTA,
MCOCA cases are yet to be framed, and 1992 guidelines won`t
apply to them. 1993 blasts case was tried under TADA.
But Gawankar pointed out that recently a TADA convict,
one Abbas Ali Shahadi was released after serving 30 years.
Kamat argued that 1993 blast convicts "are not on par
with other convicts under TADA". "Their act affected the
national security," she added.
However Justice J N Patel, who once presided over the
1993 blasts trial before his elevation to High Court, reminded
her these convicts were not tried for "affecting national
security" or waging war against the government.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know